Planning and development are popular topics for community associations as they both have a direct impact on the neighbourhood in which we live. In general, discussions and updates on major development proposals occur at regular AVCA meetings of the Executive. Info may be available in meeting minutes as well.
The list below is a list of identified projects that have come to the forefront of community interest. Where available, links have been provided for more information.
- Zoning Study on Local Shops and Services – The City is undertaking a zoning study that will determine appropriate locations for local commercial zoning (or rezoning) within residential neighbourhoods. Here are the final comments submitted by the AVCA.
- Transit Oriented Development Plans around Hurdman Transit Station.
- McIlraith Bridge Rehabilitation (Smyth Road and Main Street bridge over Riverside Drive and the Rideau River) – The work includes the addition of bike lanes, seismic upgrades, waterproofing and paving of the bridge, sidewalk repairs, abutment repairs, expansion joint repairs, localized painting of steel girders and bird screen protection installation.
- Main Street Renewal Project – The existing street infrastructure has reached the end of its life-cycle, and the City has identified the need for reconstruction. Check the City link for details and open house documents.
- Bank Street Reconstruction (Riverside Drive to Walkley Road) – This project is following the requirements of a Schedule B Class Environmental Assessment and will therefore include open houses, public consultations and the filing of a project file at the end of the project.
- New residential development at Playfair and Kilborn – Two new proposed 14-storey condominiums planned. Community opposition to the proposed development was initiated and organized by the group No Rezone Playfair. Details on this project are available on their website. The developer has prepared a website to provide more details on the development as well. Alternatively you can search for the application through the development applications search link.
The City also provides a “Projects by Ward” pdf document showing all the major projects happening. It’s an interesting thing to look at as it shows clearly where the work is being done. The direct link to Alta Vista is here, and the Ward listing page is here.
The City has recently provided online access to the full documents required when a developer applies for approval to undertake a development. To find out more information about any ongoing application simply enter the name of the street or area (such as “Pleasant Park Road” or “Alta Vista“) and the relevant applications will be listed and are available for download and review if you wish.
Committee of Adjustment
The Committee of Adjustment is a quasi-judicial tribunal appointed by City Council and is independent and autonomous from the City Administration. The Committee’s mandate includes considering and making decisions on applications for Minor Variances, consent to “sever” property, and other applications. Based on specific criteria, applications for a specific property result in automatic notification of neighbours in the nearby vicinity of the application. A public hearing will be held, at which time the Committee will hear you or any other person who is in favour of or opposed to the application.